Today I had an amazing lesson given by my teacher that as usual seemed to be just what I needed to learn. That nerve-racking, but happy day of going back to school comes again tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect, but that it's going to be another hard year. I've got an AP class and the rest pre-AP, spanish 3, journalism, and of course orchestra. I tend to stress myself out easily and that made last year almost unbearable. I do fine in school, but it's sometimes not as good as I expected of myself... So, this year I've decided I'll work as hard as I can, but let myself have fun and when my brain is overloaded with too much to do I'm just going to breath and get it done. My only expectation: to be true to myself and remember that I am not alone. "Fear not I am with thee, oh be not dismayed for I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I will strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand." I've also got an AMAZING family and wonderful friends. :) So anyways, stress can be good, but it's important to use that stress for good that you might accomplish whatever it is that is on your mind. The lesson today was on gaining Personal Purity through Self Discipline. Here's a great quote we read, "Thunderous applause filled the concert hall. One of the world's greatest violinists had just completed his final selection of the evening's program. Eagerly, a woman made her way to the stage in hopes of expressing her admiration to this great artist. Threading her way through the crowd, she finally reached him. Shaking his hand she said exuberantly, "Oh I'd give my life if I could play like that!" He promptly responded, "Madam, I have!" After reading that I knew I had to put it in my blog. :) I don't really want to give my life to playing my viola though it is a huge part of me. I do; however, desire to give my life to my God. He can offer so much more than we could ever imagine and plan for ourselves. One of my best friends has recently expressed an interest in coming to church with me. It seems like I was always thinking of someone else to share the gospel with but she was always there waiting and I believe it's because I let God provide a way. I've seen many other blessings in my life besides that one that came because I put my trust in God. I believe it is so important for man to come close to Christ. He suffered for us, it's the least we can do to involve him in our lives and give him the opportunity to make us the best we can be. And that takes self-discipline. Nobody said it was ever going to be easy. We must have the will power to choose a good choice over a bad one and a better choice over a good one. Our spirit can control our bodies! "One of the false notions of our society is that we are victims of our appetites and passions. But the truth is that the body is controlled by the spirit which inhabits it" (Terrance D. Olson). "Some become enslaved with compulsive habits or yield to appetites or to improper actions, and plead that they are helpless before their habit- that they are compelled, persuaded; that temptation was stronger than their will to resist. But we can choose... we can break bad habits; we can acquire good habits; we can choose what we think by the sheer determination to do so" (Richard L. Evans). It's not going to happen all at once, but each time you choose to improve yourself will bring you one step closer. And each time you discipline yourself you will become stronger. Satan is not able to tempt you unless you let him. "When you are overtaken in a fault, or commit an overt act unthinkingly; when you are full of evil passion, and wish to yield to it, then stop and let the spirit, which God has put into your tabernacles, take the lead. If you do that, I promise that you will overcome all evil, and obtain eternal lives" (Brigham Young). It's your choice.
Love you all! :)
Great thoughts and very true! Good luck starting school tomorrow. I was way more stressed out in high school than most of the time in college. I hope you get a chance to breathe every now and then!
ReplyDelete